Thursday, April 21, 2011

So Eager to Grow Up

Oh the big dilemma of time. Children spend their days yearning to be old and adults do everything they can to stay young.

Whether it's to wear a pair of shoes that are too big or a new pair of underwear, Em is constantly telling me how grown up she is. "I'm big now!" she proclaims whenever she wants something that isn't necessarily age/size/Emma appropriate.

I bought Em a new set of underwear that were the next size up. I didn't think they would fit so I washed them and put them away. For three days Em informed me as she got dressed, "I can wear my new underwear now!" and would turn and point to her little hiney and state "Mama, my butt is bigger now!" For three days I laughed and then refused her the bigger underwear. Finally on day 4, I gave in and let her wear the coveted underwear. They were way too big and I spent the day listening to her exclaim, "mama, my underwear is up my butt!" but it made her happy. It made her so happy she tried to show them to two people at the coffee shop . . .side note: I've never seen a grown man blush so quickly.

The other item Emma wants to "grow up" for are the a pair of sparkly pink converse. Her Grandmother sent these and the shoes have become the "golden gem". I didn't see them come in and Brian hid them immediately after she opened the box. Em spent almost a week looking for them. One day she pulled me into her bedroom and informed me that she "WAS going to wear her new Caa-Berse". She pointed to the top of her closet and I could see two toes of shoes sticking out. I pulled them down and Em squealed with joy. These shoes are size 8. She's in a 6.5. Not only do they fall off her feet but she trips on them. We made a compromise and she is allowed to wear them in the house over her pj's with feet (that's the only way they stay on her feet).

So my typical morning involves Em waking up and asking for her new underwear followed by plopping down to put on her new clown sized converse. I guess if I look on the bright side, both of these items will still fit her in a year so we're getting our money's worth!

I bought Em a new dress for Easter. I made two big mistakes. . .#1. Letting her see me buy it. #2 Telling her she could wear it before Easter. That dress barely made it across the front threshold before Em put it on. She walked around the house singing "I'm a fairy Godmother," so I pulled out my camera and played with a few settings. I really liked how a few of these pictures turned out.

1 comment:

  1. The other day, we saw a woman rollerskating on our walk...Em said she wanted rollerskates, too! I said to her that we could get her some when she gets a little bigger. Not ten seconds later--I'm big now! I'm a big girl!

    ReplyDelete