Thursday, April 28, 2011

Mornings

Em is a morning person and is at her best really early.

Em got up early today and by 6:30 we were discussing what we were going to do for the rest of the morning. Em informed me that she had decided that Tucker needed a bath. Really? Of all things that we could do. . this is what she wanted to do?

We have paints. We have art supplies. We have chickens outside that need to be let out and fed. We have a beautiful backyard to play in and plants to water. We have a park a block away. We have TV. All of these things would be appropriate activities for 6:30. Bathing the dog hadn't even registered as something "we could, or would, or would ever want to do" especially first thing in the morning.

Me, "Em, can't you think of anything else to do? Do you really want to wash the dog?" An astounding, "Yes!" was proclaimed as she ran into the bathroom.


Me, "Em, I don't know that Tucker wants me to wake him up to take a bath."


Em, "Yes he does. He NEEDS a bath. I want to wash him."


This is where I realize that my life has changed. I have officially crossed the line and have become that "crazy parent."


What did I do? Did I redirect my 2.5 year old and suggest that we leave our ancient old dog alone and relieve him of the humiliation of a bath?

Nope. I rustled the old guy awake, told him he was getting a bath, and carried him to the bathtub.


Em declared "Mama, good job. You're strong!" as I lowered Tuck into the tub. He gave me the "are you kidding me, this is what you woke me up for stare" as I turned on the shower and he got his first early morning bath in 13 years. Emma giggled, Tucker got clean, and when it was all said in done Emma snuggled Tucker and said, "I love you Tucker!" and I think Tucker understood.


I look back at my morning and I have to chuckle. Toddlers are completely unpredictable in a wonderful way. I didn't have a bath for the dog planned, but what did it hurt besides Tuck's ego? Nothing. He's clean. We had fun. And the pups got an extra long walk as a payment for Tucker being so compliant. I totally feel that this was a win-win situation for all!


Honestly I think they both look content!

2 comments:

  1. OMG poor Tucker! How rude LOL

    But on the flip side? Best post EVER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. You always say that though :)

    ReplyDelete