Monday, September 21, 2009

Miss Smartypants

Emma's nap corner is in the back of the store under the fish supply shelf. The hole was the perfect size for her pack and play and far enough from the front door that she didn't wake as people come and go.

That worked for a while, but as soon as she learned how go from laying down to a sit, the mesh sides of the pack and play became a problem. Emma prefered sit in her crib, make faces, chat, and draw the customers to her instead of sleeping. I solved this by tucking a blanket under the changing table end to cover the side facing the store. She quickly figured out how to pull the blanket into her crib, so I resorted to taping it to the sides changing table. A few weeks ago she learned how to pull herself up and it didn't matter that there was a blanket covering the end because she would stand on her tip toes to peer over the sides. This usually got a chuckle out of customers, (and I have to admit it was extremely funny) but by the end of the day she transformed into baby satan and I was paying dearly.

After brainstorming and trying a bunch of different things, I resorted to draping material from one wall to the other to stifle the circus act.

Look below, do you see a flaw in my design?


Notice the 8" x 10" area on the bottom left hand corner that's not covered?
Not much there, right?


Miss Smartypants figured out how to press her face against the mesh to bow out the crib.
A view from the top.
Please, somebody, free me from my dungeon.
Needless to say, I feel out smarted by a 9 month old. The drape has been fixed, and it's only a matter of time before she figures out how to get through my defences.

No comments:

Post a Comment